It’s DAY 2 of Billie Week and today it’s all about the hair!
( If you missed DAY 1 – you can find it HERE )
One of the things that really makes an outfit look Rockabilly is having the right hairstyles. Think Victory rolls, Pompadour, Betty Bangs. . . I did have grand plans to include a hairstyle tute on the blog this week, but lets just say my skills lie with sewing, not hairdressing!
I did have a go at a Pompadour (reminds me of the hairstyle that was all the rage with the cool girls when I was in year 7!) for my photoshoot with Kt on the weekend and although not perfect – she did look pretty cute!
So since the “How to – Hair File” was not going to happen, I started thinking about what sort of hair flower or hair bow tute I could include in #billieweek. One thing lead to another and the idea for today’s tute took flight …
Inspired by this tutorial over at Molly and Mama this is a super fast and easy tutorial to make a felt swallow topper for a bobby pin (also known as a kirby clip).
Click Below to download your Template. You can change the scaling to print at different sizes. This size makes a felt tip for your bobby pin that is about 4.5cm (1 3/4″) tall x 4cm (1 1/2 “).
HOW TO MAKE YOUR HAIRPIN TOPPER (not suitable for children under 3 years of age due to small parts)
- Print then cut out your template piece. There are 3 swallow shapes to choose from.
- Cut a piece of felt twice as big as your template and fold it in half.
- Hold the template paper piece against your folded over felt and cut around it. (You could pin the template paper to the felt or trace around the template but I find holding it against the felt is easier as its such a small fiddly piece to cut out. Also by cutting them out together the shapes match each other better meaning less trimming at the end).
4. Cut two slits in the back of one of your felt swallow pieces.
5. Slide your hairpin through those slits. (Remember the wavy bit of the hairpin goes against the hair so the flat end should go against your felt template).
6. Glue the other felt piece on top.
7. Cut another small piece of felt and glue it over the slits you cut in the back felt swallow.
8. Trim any over hanging bits of felt so the felt birds are the same size.
9. Pop in your little Misses hair and voila!
- Handsew around the edges of your felt swallow
- Stuff your swallow with small amounts of polyfill as Lauren from Molly and Mama did with her Sleepy Cloud Pin Topper.
- Embroider small details such as the eye and feather details onto your swallow.
- Use your swallows on a headband or hairclip rather than a hairpin.
- Use your swallow templates as an applique template.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this tute! Stay tuned for more #billieweek fun and if you do end up making some of these Hairpin Toppers be sure to show me – I’d love to see (firstname.lastname@example.org or facebook or instagram)
(PS Just 3 sleeps till the Billie Dress sewing pattern will be released!)