Welcome to Billie Week!
I’m so excited about the Billie Dress, which releases on Friday 16th October, so to celebrate I’ve got a week of fun and freebies planned!
When I was researching for my new dress, a couple of motifs kept coming up … the first was cherries. I started thinking how adding cherries to gingham or spots would give pretty much any outfit a hint of Rockabilly!
So here’s the first freebie of #billieweek a Cherry Applique!
Click Below to download your Applique Template. You can change the scaling to print your applique at different sizes. This size makes a cherry applique that is about 15cm (6″) tall.
HOW TO APPLIQUE
- Cut out your template pieces
- Cut a piece of fabric/felt a little bigger than your template
- Cut a piece of your heat and bond (or your preferred brand of applique adhesive) the same size as your fabric/felt from step 2.
- Iron your heat and bond to your fabric following the manufacturers instructions.
5. Trace your pattern pieces onto the paper side of your heat and bond.
6. Cut out your fabric/felt pieces.
7. Cut a slit in your cherry pieces. On one cherry cut a convex slit and on the other a concave slit.
8. Insert your stalk into your cherry.
9. Arrange your cherry on your canvas and check its even. Initially just arrange the leaf, cherry and stalk pieces.
10. Remove the paper backing and apply your cherry to the shirt following the manufacturers instructions.
11. Add your shine, shadow and leaf centre pieces to your applique. (The shine and shadow pieces are just to add texture to your applique so if you need to trim them so they suit your cherries better – go for it!)
12. Hand or machine stitch your applique pieces in place.
Enjoy your shirt! A big thankyou to my friend Jamie from Little Miss Mulberry and the Dragon for letting me borrow her daughter for this photo!