Way back in 2013 I pattern hacked the nappy wallet into a journal cover for some Christmas gifts. I popped the mini tute up in the facebook group, but since Ainslee Fox now has a proper blog home I thought I’d pop it up here!
– pair of sew in magnets (you can skip these if you’re not making the strap)
– a5 journal/diary/drawing book (mine were 32cm 12.5″ around the middle of the journal when shut – if yours are fatter or skinnier you may need to make your main/lining rectangles wider or skinnier to accommodate)
– rectangle 25cm (9 1/2″) tall x 36cm (14″) wide of main & lining fabric
– 2x rectangles 25cm (9 1/2″) tall x 21cm (8″) wide for flaps/pockets to put the book ends under.
– rectangle 10cm (4″) wide x 51cm (20″) long for skinny strap
– Nappy Wallet tute (available HERE or you can wing it using these measurements )
This tute is an adaptation of the nappy wallet tute so follow your nappywallet tute making the changes as stated.
SEAM ALLOWANCE IS 1CM (3/8″)
* Skip step 3
* Step 6 – Magnet placement is 5cm (2″) in and 5cm (2″) up from bottom left corner
* Replace step 8 with this….. Fold strap in half lengthwise (so your strap rectangle is now 5cmx51cm). With wrong side of the fabric facing up sew a magnet 2cm (3/4″) from one skinny end – centered on one of the skinny halves. With wrong side facing out (and magnet on the outside) sew the long side shut with a 0.6 (1/4″) seam allowance (I just overlock along this edge without machine sewing first). Sew an arrow/pointy shape at the end, where the magnet is sewn, of your strap. Trim this end and turn out. Starting from the open skinny end of your strap make a mark 1.5cm (5/8″) along on the long side. Rule a line diagonally from this point to the opposite corner and cut along this line. You’re pretty much chopping off the end of your strap so the angle of your strap will be right when you sew it in, so that when it wraps around the book it will end up back where the other sew in magnet is.
* Step 11 – position your strap on the lefthand side 2.5cm (1″) from the top corner.
* Finish your journal cover as per the nappy wallet tute.
I hope you enjoy using this journal cover pattern hack!